Specific prayer request

Hi friends and family,

Thank you for being patient with me as I am slow to update you on Karis and the family.  What brings me to my keyboard today is the need for your very specific prayers over this next week.   Hang with me as I elaborate:

As you may or may not know, Karis has a history of kidney stone trouble.  We had yet to get a clear visual on the stones, but we had seen plenty of evidence of them.  Karis has been having some odd issues with her bladder lately in terms of not voiding completely even when using the urinary catheter and being more dependent on the catheter to empty her bladder.  I was suspicious of bladder spasms, and of course it’s always easy for the medical folks to chalk everything up to “disease progression.”  {Few things make my blood boil more than slapping this reasoning behind every medical issue Karis confronts.  MDs, NPs, RNs, and PAs, please don’t be lazy with people who have a profound, systemic disease.  They are still people whose bodies are intricate and they do not deserve to be defined by a disease.  Dig deeper and make sure you’re right before you jump to that conclusion.}

I contacted Karis’ urologist and set up an appointment to address my concerns.  The day before the appointment we noticed blood in her diaper.  I reported it to the urologist this morning and we got an ultrasound and X-ray of her kidneys, ureters, and bladder.  During the ultrasound, the tech found a very large stone (8mm at its smallest part) at the end of Karis’ ureter immediately above her bladder.  For those of you who aren’t as familiar with the urinary tract system, here’s a little visual for you:


The large stone has traveled all the way from the left kidney, down the ureter, to right above the bladder, causing a lot of pain and bleeding for our soldier girl along the way.  Right now the stone appears to be a bit stuck.  Urine can flow around it, but the urethra is dilating around the stone, indicating that it’s blocking urine flow which is quite painful.

The bottom line is that the stone has to move.  The urologist said there is less than a 50% chance that the stone will move into the bladder on its own.  Our hope is that once it’s in the bladder, Karis will be able to void it, even though it’s a large stone.  Right now we are looking at three options

  1. Surgically place a stent in the kidney and ureter to dilate the area around the stone.  Use a laser to break up the stone and leave the stents in for two weeks to give all the pieces a chance to pass through.  She would have a second procedure to remove the stents.  This is the most invasive option and would require her going under anesthesia twice.  It would, however, thoroughly remove the large stone.
  2. Surgically place a scope through her bladder and into the opening of the ureter.  If the surgeon is able to pinpoint the stone with the scope, he would use the laser to break it up and remove the pieces.  If this method was effective, it would require Karis going under anesthesia once.  If he is unable to get a “hold” of the stone, he would resort to option one.
  3. Pray for the stupid stone to get out of her ureter.  Karis is clearly uncomfortable, but it seems to come in waves.  I have asked the urologist to give us a week to pray about our decision.  This will give us a chance to give her lots of water and see if the stone will move on its own (that less than 50% chance).  Her nurse and I have come up with a little plan of giving her tea as a diuretic coupled with Ibuprofen as an anti-inflammatory for the urethra, flushing with water, and putting her in her standing frame (for gravity).  I’m discussing adding Flowmax with the nurse practitioner now.

Would you please pray with us that the stone would just move?  The Creator of the universe can move the very mountains that He formed.  He upholds the universe by the word of His power.  It’s nothing for him to nudge an 8mm kidney stone into a bladder and out of a body.  Please ask Him with us to be pleased to extend His grace to Karis in this way.  Anesthesia is extremely dangerous for our Krabbe kiddos.  It has been known to progress the disease significantly, particularly as children get older.  While Karis has held up fairly well under anesthesia historically, we are just not interested in taking that risk for her.

Thank you all so much.  I will update you next week when we go back for another X-ray of the stone.  OR I will update you when we find an 8mm kidney stone in her diaper 😉



Be Sociable, Share!
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.


  1. Posted July 9, 2015 at 6:29 pm | Permalink

    Katie, our God is indeed able. We will pray. I will get it to our prayer team immediately.

  2. Mimi
    Posted July 10, 2015 at 3:53 pm | Permalink

    Praying diligently for our sweet princess!

  3. Glenda Batchelor
    Posted July 10, 2015 at 5:57 pm | Permalink

    Prayers that HE will move and crush that stone such that sweet Karis will have zero pain, bleeding or further inflammation! God bless her! Love to all!!

Post a Comment

Your email is never published nor shared. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>